Sunday, June 18, 2023

Finding Poddo


If you draw, you probably have sketchbooks filled with moments captured in pencil and ink. I grew up in a family of artists so it seemed a very natural pastime. My early professional work, however, was in 3-D fabrication and is actually a more natural expression of my nature, essential when I designed and created sculptural costumes, fibre art, sets, props and museum exhibits. But through the years, I often kept a sketchbook to jot down ideas or render a brief sketch. Lately I've been developing some of those sketches to see what kind of children's stories they might want to be a part of.

PODDO (below) is a good example. At first I though he was a meanie, but as he evolved I see him as a funny little being who grows potatoes (his favorite food), is a bit clumsy, has a ready smile and perhaps doesn't always think ahead - then again, he might just be absentminded because he’s always percolating his latest invention. As you can see, I scanned the image in my sketchbook and began to develop it in Procreate. Now that I see a more realized vision of him, I can begin the story-making process - which always starts with asking questions:
  • Why is he holding that flower so gleefully? Can Poddo hear without ears?
  • Where and how did he get the flower? Did he pick it? Find it? Buy it?
  • Does it belong to someone else? Did it call out to him? Did it tumble from above?
  • Is the flower special in some way? Magic? Dangerous? Rare?
  • Is it a gift for someone? Who? Why?

I love having this kind of interrogative dialogue with a character and it's a very natural way for me to work. As an educator I've facilitated the creation of many stories using variations of this interactive process. I wonder what Poddo’s story will be? Do you have ideas for Poddo? Click below in the comment area ( click on comment to bring up the comment box) to share them. Or visit Poddo’s page to add your ideas HERE.




1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure he is at a door presenting this flower as a way to say 'hello' to someone new in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Your comment will post upon approval of the moderator.